Saturday, January 17, 2009

You Never Know Where Your Motivation Will come From

I'm taking a three month leave of absence from work. This is the first time in twelve years that I'm not teaching fitness classes every week. I'm still doing a little wellness coaching though, just not teaching classes. I'm taking this leave of absence for a couple of reasons. One is simply that I need a break. You know how it is when you've been doing something for so long that you can't see the forest for the trees? I need some new inspiration and focus. The other reason is that I've been thinking about where I want to go with my fitness career. I know that I want to keep doing what I'm doing in some capacity. I'm just not sure exactly how I want to do it. Sometimes you have to step back a little to see the big picture, right?

It's been interesting not having the "exercise structure" of teaching classes. Of course, I still need to work out. but now I have to motivate myself to be consistent with it or it just might not happen. I have to try to do the very thing I try to get other people to do- find the motivation to keep up the work outs. It's easy to find other things to fill the time with. It's easy to say "I'm too tired today." So, I've been walking/running more, because I haven't been in the mood to be in the gym much. I've also been doing something new that I'll share with you next week. Today, my motivation came from, of all things, the Cara Cara orange.

I just had one of these oranges for the first time last year. They're a deep orange fleshed fruit that have a hint of grapefruit to them. They peel easily, have the perfect firmness/juciness, and the flavor is rich and sweet. If you haven't tried them yet, I highly recommend you do.

Today was a work out day for me but I didn't feel very eager to get going. I was also a little sad that I didn't have any fruit to go with my breakfast. Breakfast is my favorite meal of the day. I'm usually starving by 9 or 10 in the morning. I actually think about breakfast in the evening sometimes, so excited for that morning meal to come around. This morning, I thought about the Cara Cara orange that I had a few days ago. A plan fell into place. I would walk/run to the little store nearby, get some Cara Caras, come home, and eat breakfast. It ended up being a great work out.

I ran down this street towards the store:



Before I went into the store, I ran around the neighborhood some more. Then I got my fruit, went back up the hill to my house, and had breakfast. I really enjoyed these. Look at the perfection:





No comments:

Post a Comment